Re: Reading national characters in filenames on Mac OS X?

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: Reading national characters in filenames on Mac OS X?
Date: 27 Apr 2003 16:28:42 +0200

KG> Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:
>> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>
>>> (set-file-name-coding-system 'utf-8) should work, I'd think.
>>
>> This might work up to some degree.
>>
>> The crucial point is to use Emacs from CVS (trunk or unicode branch).
>> Version 21.3 will expose problems sooner or later.

KG> Which problems?  I thought that it would work as a first
KG> approximation, especially if you mainly need to support Latin-1
KG> characters in UTF-8 encoding.  Of course, trying CJK stuff with the
KG> UTF-8 support in Emacs 21.3 won't work.

You can open and create the files and directories properly with the utf-8
file-name-coding. The only thing is dired will not display the filename
properly. This is because Mac OSX uses normalised UTF-8 for the filenames,
which means that the accent character is separated from the letter and put
behind it. And Emacs UTF-8 implementation doesn't understand this.
So Äventyr comes out as A?ventyr where the ? is actually the Unicode
character 0x0308:

COMBINING DIAERESIS
= double dot above, umlaut
= Greek dialytika