Re: I can't save and preview, special characters

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: I can't save and preview, special characters
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:24:47 +0200

Petr Simon <sim@klubko.net> writes:

> I am new to emacs.

Welcome!

> I have too instalations and two problems. Both are on Debian,
> installed from packages.

> 1. When I try to save it says: Symbol's function definition is void:
>    call-with-transparent-undo. Well in fact whatever I do gives me
>    this, preview too. So I am learning emacs and latex, but can't see
>    or use anything I type in.

Are you using GNU Emacs or XEmacs?  As far as I know, only XEmacs has
a function called `call-with-transparent-undo'.  If you get this error
in GNU Emacs, then you are probably using a lisp package that was
intended for XEmacs.

> 2. on my laptop it works (saving), but I have problem with other
>    things. First of all I don't see the same toolbar as on my other
>    computer.

If you see a different toolbar, then most likely, one of your emacsen
is GNU Emacs while the other is XEmacs.

>    When I find file, Yatex invites me, but I dont have
>    Command Preview and Latex.

The Command and Latex menus belong to the AUC TeX package, the Preview
menu belongs to the Preview package.  Maybe these packages are not
installed (properly)?

>    When I try to select LaTex command from Yatex > Process > LaTex
>    it says /bin/bash: line 1: platex: command not found. I have
>    installed the ptex-bin package which should contain platex, but
>    peoblems pertains.

What happens if you just invoke platex in a console?  (Type `platex'
at the shell prompt.)

> 3. (ok not only two problems...) I can save and then generate dvi file
>    with latex. But I can do it only with English. I am sorry for this,
>    maybe I can read it somewhere, but I did I wasn't really able to
>    find something I could easily use. I need to get pdf or ps with
>    lots of "abnormal" characters like Chinese, doubled and trippled
>    diacritics. I set the environment to utf-8-unix and saved the file
>    like utf-8-unix, but instead of my characters I got only little bit
>    of mess, some of original even disappeared.

I'm not very intimate with internationalization, but in general you
use latex to get a dvi file from latex source files (*.tex files).
>From the dvi file you can create a postscript file with dvips, or a
pdf file with dvipdf.  There are also latex compilers that can
generate pdf files directly.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "world domination [Hello to all my friends and fans in domestic
surveillance] AK-47"