Re: Differences between Elisp and Lisp

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Differences between Elisp and Lisp
Date: 29 Apr 2003 15:29:54 +0100

  Marco> Johan Bockgård wrote:

  >> From gnu.emacs.help, followup-to set to gnu.emacs.help
  >>
  >> "Daniel R. Anderson" writes:
  >>

  >> >On emacswiki.org there is a "wish list". Quite a few people want
  >> >emacs to be based on another version of LISP. Out of curiosity,
  >> >what is it that makes elisp inherently bad, or why would people
  >> >want it to be changed?

  Marco> I'll skip the first one.  For the second I'd wager that
  Marco> people *know* that Common Lisp is the right answer and people
  Marco> would love to see RMS admit that he messed up royally by
  Marco> promoting Guile :)

For me the issue is more simple I think. I would Emacs to be using a
lisp which was not specific to emacs, as it would probably stop so
much wheel reinvention. There is too much code in emacs, that was
written for emacs, in my own estimation.

I'd just be happy to have a more powerful lisp that's all. Should it
be CL or scheme? From my perspective, I couldn't care that much for a
simple reason. I learnt lisp because I use emacs, rather than the
other way around. I only known elisp in detail. Which ever one emacs
goes with, will be the one that I learn!

Cheers

Phil