Re: Help producing the Alt modifier

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: Help producing the Alt modifier
Date: 30 Apr 2003 07:30:41 +0200

    >> IIRC than there's no Meta key defined.
    Jeremy>
    Jeremy> I have (at least) 3 ways of generating Meta. Left and right Alt
    Jeremy> and ESC.

right, and that's why I suggested to make one of the two Alt keys a Meta key,
but if you already have 2 Meta keys, than make one Meta key into an Alt
and you're set.

    >> Emacs has a special feature to use Alt as Meta if
    >> there's no Meta key,
    Jeremy>
    Jeremy> Can I disable this behaviour ? If so how ?

once you have a Meta and an Alt key it shouldn't matter.

    Jeremy> I can *already* produce Meta but I *cannot* produce Alt.

try a xmodmap -pm and you'll see if your 2 Alt keys are defined as Meta or
Alt, i.e. one of the mod<nr> keys will have either Alt_L and Alt_R or
Meta_L and Meta_R assigned. Now use one of the mod<nr> modifiers that
have no key assigned. If you're not sure what to do, than post your
xmodmap -pm output and we'll go from there.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
Napoleon: What shall we do with this soldier, Guiseppe?
          Everything he says is wrong.
Guiseppe: Make him a general, Excellency, and then everything he says
          will be right.          -- G. B. Shaw, "The Man of Destiny"