Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 06:03:52 -0400

David Combs wrote:

>>> I'm a newbie to Emacs. I tried to read the Emacs manual but it looks so
>>> complicated to me. So asking here is a better way for me, I think.
>
> Yes, a much better way to start out.
>
> Type in this:  Control-H   t (the letter "t").
>
> That will get you into the interactive tutorial, written
> by the master himself.
>
> Each thing he teaches, he has you do it yourself,
> right then and there.
>
> After finishing that, THEN read the manual.
>
> If you can't afford the manual or even printing
> it out, then type in  Control-H  i  ("i", for "info").
>
> Using what you learned from the tutorial, hunt down
> for a "* Emacs", and when there, hit "m" followed
> by a carriage-return (I believe).
>
> Good luck!
>
> David

I found the book /Learning/ /GNU/ /Emacs/ second edition by Debra Cameron,
Bill Rosenblatt and Eric Raymond quite helpful. It's an O'Reilly book
available at bookstores and the web.

The problem is that it's a bit out of date. It's written for version 19.30
and we're 21.xx now. Still, I found it much easier to understand than the
help files and organized better--at least for me.

Hope this helps.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of my e-mail address. It's to
confuse spambots, of course.