Re: Help producing the Alt modifier

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Help producing the Alt modifier
Date: 01 May 2003 18:15:06 -0400

> translates <escape> into ESC (which is the same as C-[).  There is
> also additional magic that makes M-x be the same as ESC x, but I
> don't know how that works.  It's different magic, I think.

Yes, that magic is hardcoded in keymap.c (mostly in access_keymap
and Fdefine_key).  Note that it does not apply to Meta + function key,
so ESC a == M-a but M-f8 != ESC f8.

I think it would be interesting to make this less hard-coded and
generalize it so that other modifiers can be mapped to prefixes.

        Stefan