Re: Help producing the Alt modifier

From: Luis O. Silva
Subject: Re: Help producing the Alt modifier
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:16:57 +0400

Hi Jeremy,

On Fri, 02 May 2003 12:33:29 +1200, Jeremy Bowen writes:

   JB> Kai Großjohann wrote:
   >> Jeremy Bowen <jeremyb@opennw.com> writes:

   >>>  It seems that ESC actually gives me ESC which is then
   >>> interpreted as Meta as it should be according to the
   >>> docs.
   >>  Did you actually try it?

   JB> Yes. However it is somewhat irrelevant as I don't have
   JB> a problem with ESC or Meta. I have a problem with Alt

   JB> How do I make the ALT keys generate the <Alt> modifier
   JB> ?????

I'm not an expert (I'm almost a complete ignorant in this),
but since you haven't obtained an answer from the experts I'll
try to help you.

AFAIK you won't be able to generate the Alt modifier in
Emacs. You always will obtain the Meta modifier. The Alt
modifier didn't exist in the old terminal and it is *not*
needed in Emacs. Why do you want this modifier? If you need an
alternative modifier, why don't you define Super or Hyper?

Best regards,
luis

--
Luis Octavio Silva P.