Why I cannot byte-compile epop3mail.el?

From: Hongzheng Wang
Subject: Why I cannot byte-compile epop3mail.el?
Date: 03 May 2003 14:49:53 +0800

Hi,all
  Because I wanna leave mails on server after I have downloaded them
through POP, I downloaded ep3m-098.zip from GNU's website.

  According to the commentary in epop3mail.el, I installed elib and
then copy epop3mail.el, biff-mode.el, epop3hash.el and a patched pop3.el
to my emacs directory, ie, /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/gnus/

  But when I byte-compile epop3mail.el, a error occured:
  Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

  I have try to setq max-specpdl-size to a larger value, but it doesn't
work and result in a different error:
  Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth

  I'm a newbie to elisp, so I have to post this article here. Can you
help me with this problem?

  Thanks.