Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 20:03:06 GMT

In article <wzznm18yg2.fsf@nono.cs.uu.nl>,
Piet van Oostrum  <piet@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
>B> 4) HIG violations - quitting
>
>B> On a Mac, all applications *must* quit when "Quit" is selected in the
>B> applications main menu (the one that carries its name). Further,
>B> applications *must* quit when the user choses "Quit" from the menu in
>B> the application's dock item. Finally, Cmd-Q is the designated keyboard
>B> shortcut for quitting.
>
>The Emacs keybinding for quit is C-x C-q. The problem is that if you use
>the `standard' Mac keybindings you are non-standard with respect with
>other emacsen.

Can't you have both?  Does Emacs usurp the Command key for something else?

>B> 5) HIG violations - paste
>
>B> On a Mac, cut/copy/paste is Cmd-x/c/v. Emacs doesn't adhere to this,
>B> but in principle, this can be changed back to normal by defining
>B> keyboard macros.
>
>Same as above. The keybindings can be changed but then youhave to find
>alternatives for the rebound keys. On Windows there is a cua.el and some
>others that do this. It would be easy to adapt this to Mac style (Cmd-
>rather than Control-).

Again, can't you have both?  The standard Emacs key bindings use the
Control key, while the standard Macintosh shortcuts use the Command key, so
there shouldn't be any conflict.

>B> 6) Emacs keyboard shortcuts
>
>B> Most of the Emacs keyboard shortcuts don't work. Bug or feature?
>
>What do you mean?
>I can use all normal Emacs keyboard commands.

I wonder if the OP is confusing the Command and Control keys.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA