Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: tristero
Subject: Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 02:03:17 GMT

In article <lQBta.26$J33.1166@paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>, Barry Margolin wrote:
> Macs (except some of the very earliest Apple keyboards) have three modifier
> keys: Control, Option, and Command.  I would expect Control to be used for
> Control, Option to be used for Meta, and Command to be reserved for
> implementing standard Macintosh shortcuts.

The carbon emacs port can use either Option or Command as meta;
whichever one isn't Meta becomes Alt.  It's configured by the variable
mac-command-key-is-meta.  At one point the default value of this
variable was t.  I set it to nil explicitly in ~/.emacs so that the
behavior matches emacs in an osx Terminal and also in X11 (with a
sensible .xmodmap): in my environment all three use Option for meta (I
never use Alt in emacs).

As for the carbon port not matching Aqua conventions, it's hard to
know what to say. The carbon port is functionally outstanding; it
deserves nothing but praise imo.  The OP's contention that the lack of
predefined support for Cmd-q makes this "crippleware" or "broken" is
truly an amazing feat of pettiness, even for usenet.