Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 13:05:47 +0200

bk_usenet@yahoo.co.uk (BK) writes:

> Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin.Riefenstahl@epost.de> wrote ...
>
>> I understand "crippleware" as an insult without any meaning when
>> applied to Emacs, but you hopefully didn't mean it that way.
>
> Crippleware is software that has things left out on purpose which
> other versions of the same software have, whether for marketing
> reasons or because the developers haven't had the time yet to
> implement them doesn't really matter.

It does, since the term "crippleware" refers to the intention, as you
say, and the intention is entirely different. Not using Mac OS I
don't have an idea whether the particular Emacs version you have is
not fully ported to Mac OS or whether your installation is simply
broken. But if the former, it is called "alpha version" or
"pre-release" in the free software world. ("free" as in "free speech"
not as in "free beer").

[...]
>> OTOH if you really don't like it and don't want or can't spend the
>> time to work it out, you are free, go ahead, get something else, there
>> are a number of capable editors for MacOSX around, free and
>> commercial.
>
> See, I give a damn about that excuse for an editor.
[...]
> Emacs is a road block.
[...]
> As far as I am concerned, I probably won't touch Emacs with a
> barchpole for quite some time. But I have promised to write a section
> for the ILISP user guide and I intend to keep that promise.
[...]

I guess, if you explain your attitude towards Emacs to the people to
whom you gave your promise, they will kindly release you from it.

    Oliver
--
17 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!