Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: 06 May 2003 17:16:35 +0200

Jerry Kindall <jerrykindall@nospam.invalid> writes:

> No, you've got it backwards.  When you launch Emacs, you tell your
> Mac "I want to travel to Emacs-land" and implicitly accept its
> foreign customs.  Emacs is practically an OS of its own -- it
> includes a Turing-complete programming language with which mail and
> news readers, and other applications, have been implemented, all
> inside the editor.  In short, launching Emacs and complaining about
> the keyboard shortcuts is like launching Windows under Virtual PC
> and complaining that all the windows are funny-looking.
>
> If Emacs worked like a Mac program, it wouldn't be Emacs anymore...

Emacs dresses a lot more like the locals than XEmacs does (which looks
pretty much the same anywhere).  Apart from that, the land of the
Emacsen is by now almost like Belgium: you can talk in various idioms
and get understood.  There is the slightly augmented form of the
original French (as in freedom fries) with terms like "nonante" and
"(cua-mode 1)", but you can also expect to find people speaking Dutch,
viper-mode or even wordstar-mode or German.