Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: 06 May 2003 15:49:00 +0200

I use Carbon Emacs on Mac OSX every day. In fact I use it more than any
other program. I do almost all my text editing, email and Usenet news with
Emacs. Also most HTML editing (occasionally I use Mozilla composer). I use
it to control LaTeX to produce PDF documents. I use even dired mode as much
as the Finder. I find it a versatile production tool.

I have chosen to use Command as the Meta key, rather than Option. The main
reason is that Option is used to produce non-ASCII characters like é, ü,
€, so I don't want to loose that feature (although emacs has other ways to
produce these characters, which I also use sometimes). Therefore the
Command key is not free for me, so I don't use Cmd-C, Cmd-V, Cmd-Q etc.
But as someone else has already indicated, you are free to use Option as
Meta key and install the proper commands on the Command keys. I could give
you the elisp commands in a few minutes if so desired.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl