Re: Does Carbon Emacs ignore ~/.emacs ?

From: BK
Subject: Re: Does Carbon Emacs ignore ~/.emacs ?
Date: 7 May 2003 17:25:23 -0700

Joe Davison <halting@attbi.com> wrote ...

> > > Isn't there a version of emacs for aqua?
> >
> >  Yes, that's the "carbonised" Emacs, hence Carbon Emacs, I am talking
> >  about.
> >
> That's good to know, I use it when I don't feel like starting X11 and
> using xemacs.   However the version at
> http://emacs-on-aqua.sourceforge.net/ appears to be version 20.7
> while you started off talking about version 21.1.30, which I presume you
> built yourself?

No, I downloaded it as a binary from

http://www.porkrind.org/emacs/offsite-mirror1/Emacs-21.1.tar.gz

However, at this point in time, I have to ***stress*** that I do *not*
recommend this build *at all*. For me, it exhibits behaviour that I am
convinced no Emacs user would ever tolerate. YMMV, but you have been
warned ;-)

> Would you know if there is any plan to update the binary version available at
> sourceforge.net with a more recent build?

No, I don't. However, if you are using Jaguar, then you may want to
check out this one

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/mac-emacs/

It is recommended by a lot of folks and they say that it doesn't
exhibit the problems I experienced with 21.1.30.

hope this helps
rgds
bk