Re: Opt/Fn as meta? (emacs on macs)

From: tristero
Subject: Re: Opt/Fn as meta? (emacs on macs)
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 17:57:36 GMT

In article <080520031142459136%sunder_3291@hotmail.nospam>, Sunder wrote:
> 1. Is there any downside to binding Opt or Fn as meta?

Never causes me any problems to use Option.

> 2. What would I put in my .emacs to make such a binding?

There are three cases here, only one of which requires a .emacs
change:

1. Running in a Terminal (either gnuemacs or xemacs).  Enable the
   Emulation preference "Use option as meta key".  You might also find
   it useful to enable "Option click to position cursor", which gives
   you some very basic mouse functionality.

2.  Running the carbon gnuemacs.  Here you want to add a line to
    .emacs:

   (setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)

   The effect of this is to make Option act as Meta and Command act as
   Alt.  For clarity you may want to conditionalize this to (eq
   window-system 'mac).  But it's not strictly necessary to do so.

3.  Running in X11 (either gnuemacs or xemacs).  Here you need to
    change the X11 modmap.  I put the following in ~/.Xmodmap:

    clear mod1
    keycode 66 = Meta_L
    keycode 63 = Mode_switch
    add mod1 = Meta_L

    As in case (2), the effect of this is to make Option be Meta and
    Command be Alt. NB: the keycode values could well be specific to
    the Apple Pro keyboard.