Re: excuse me for the FAQ

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: excuse me for the FAQ
Date: 09 May 2003 16:24:13 +0200

"Pasquale di Gaetano" <fattimiei@yahoo.com> writes:

> "David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> x5r878qu5n.fsf@lola.goethe.zz">news:x5r878qu5n.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
> > "Pasquale di Gaetano" <fattimiei@yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > > "David Kastrup"

> > > If i've written here, obviously, i've found no lot of help on
> > > web.  Anyway thank you for the suggest (no nervous disorder,
> > > only low-cost mouse)
> >
> > Under the first five hits in Google Groups with the given keywords
> > I find one thread for disabling the mouse paste for XEmacs, and
> > one for Emacs.
>
> Ok, but you know that to find something using a search engine you've
> to use the right query.  I've tried a lot using "configure emacs
> mouse" et similia, but with no good answer, so i've written here.

If you are trying to use Google for finding out about a specific
problem, it helps to mention your specific problem in the search
terms.  You want to have the relevant entries in the first few hits.

Search terms are usually what you would find in a very elaborate
index, not in the table of contents.  Good search terms have
something to do with the problem at hand, and are unlikely to occur
in texts not concerned about the problem.

Your words are appalingly bad for that purpose.  If you had instead
selected the most important words from your Usenet query, you'd have
had better luck.

If you had just posted here "how do I configure the Emacs mouse?"
without further qualification, you would not have gotten a useful
reply.  Google is no miracle, it can't understand better than humans
what you want.