Re: A few simple questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A few simple questions
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 11:59:46 +0300

> From: Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 10 May 2003 13:18:04 +0800
>
> I have a few simple questions to ask about Emacs. They are so simple,
> yet it seems that I can't find them in the manual and FAQ:

FAQ is not the first place you should look into to find such
information, not in Emacs, anyway.  The first place to look is in the
on-line manual.

> 1. How can I do something like f command in vi? When I'm looking at a
>    line, I want to move to a charater, say 'a'. How can I do something
>    like "fa" in Emacs, and how to I repeat this command to go to
>    following a's?

You actually want to _search_ for a character.  So, type "C-h i d m
emacs RET" (or click Help->Read the Emacs Manual" from the menu bar),
which will get you into the Emacs manual, then type "g Search RET" to
get to the "Search" node, and read there.  As others suggested, "C-s a"
is all you need.

> 2. How do I move like "W" in vi. That is, move to the next white space
>    delimited "Word"?

The manual has a section named "Moving Point" which describes the
various commands for cursor motion.  You want "M-f" or "C-<rightarrow>".

> 3. How do I change DOS lineend file into UNIX lineend file quickly? I
>    don't like to C-x RET c ....-unix C-x C-f...!

After you visit the file with "C-x C-f", type "C-x RET f unix RET" and
save the file.  (You could have found this yourself by using the
index-search command in the Emacs manual" type "i DOS-to-Unix RET",
and Emacs will land you in the appropriate place in the manual.)