Re: EOL question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: EOL question
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:37:51 +0300

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Marco Parrone <marc0@autistici.org>
> Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:32:21 GMT
>
> Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org> writes:
>
> > is there a way for me to have NTemacs always write files in unix
> > format?  i've read the manual but i don't seem to see anything that
> > creates this behavior.  when i create files on nt, i don't want to
> > have to strip the carriage returns when i move the files onto linux.
>
> Try
>
>   (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "" 'unix)

I don't recommend this solution.  Not only does it disable _all_
conversions, not just EOL conversions, for files whose encodings are
known in advance, but it will also break whenever coding-systems alist
is modified by some package or the user in their ~/.emacs.

Don't do that.

See my other mail in this thread for the solution recommended by the
Emacs manual.