Re: getting out of raw-text encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: getting out of raw-text encoding
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:52:51 +0300

> From: david.madore@ens.fr (David Madore)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 10 May 2003 15:21:08 GMT
>
> So, basically, how do I get out of raw-text without killing the
> buffer?

For every 8-bit value CHAR that you want Emacs to accept in an
otherwise Latin-1 encoded file, put this line into your .emacs:

  (aset latin-extra-code-table CHAR t)

For example, to accept the character whose code is 158, do this
(untested):

  (aset latin-extra-code-table 158 t)

I should caution you that this might bite you in scertain situations,
so I would not recommend doing that for all the characters in the
region 128-159, just for those you actually see frequently.