Re: getting out of raw-text encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: getting out of raw-text encoding
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 21:40:33 +0300

> From: kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (=?iso-8859-1?q?Kai_Gro=DFjohann?=)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 19:06:36 +0200
>
> (codepage-setup "1252") might have done something useful, but it seems
> that my Emacs knows 1250 and 1251 but not 1252.  Why?

Because codepage 1252's target charset is latin-iso8859-1, and where
cp1252 and latin-1 intersect, they are identical, while the few
non-Latin-1 characters there cannot be expressed as latin-iso8859-1.

I'd like to remind you that until now, cpNNN encodings could only
express characters of a single charset.  This makes support of
Microsoft's abominations impossible.  (The CVS version of Emacs fixes
that in code-pages.el.)

Therefore, it didn't make sense to introduce cp1252 into Emacs, as the
most we could have done would be for it to be an alias for latin-1.