Re: Chinese characters support

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 21:24:09 +0200

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:

> Kai wrote:
>
>> Really?  The HELLO file shows characters from a lot of different
>> encodings, and if used as such, then it is quite useful.
>>
>> > and it is quite often the case that that file will display fine
>> > despite the fact that CJK won't work in utf-8
>>
>> There are known problems with CJK support in UTF-8, but the situation
>> has improved greatly in the development version of Emacs.
>
> I know that, and I am not contesting that point. But again, the
> HELLO file is not a utf-8 file. It is also not a form of JIS or
> other East Asian encoding, so the fact that one can display
> multilingual scripts by opening that file does not mean that they
> will be able to display them in Big5, JIS, or whatever. If you check
> the archives for "utf-8+cjk", you will see that we have had a few
> threads in the past year that dealt with problems trying to display
> CJK and other international scripts, in which the advice was given
> to look at the Hello file. As a person who has been working with
> international scripts and utf-8 for a number years, I know firsthand
> the ability to be able to read this file doesn't usually mean
> much. People who recommend checking this file are usually people who
> don't use double-byte East Asian languages.

I know that I often suggest people to have a look at the HELLO file.
I do that to answer one question: does Emacs find the right fonts?

While a correctly-looking HELLO file is not sufficient for correct
functioning of CJK, it is a requirement.  That is, if HELLO looks
bad, that needs to be fixed first.

However, I don't use CJK myself (much), and therefore I am quite
ready to be proven wrong.  Is it common to have a garbled HELLO file
but still CJK is working right?
--
This line is not blank.