Re: Chinese characters support

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: 12 May 2003 20:27:15 +0100

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:

> If you check the archives for "utf-8+cjk", you will see that we have
> had a few threads in the past year that dealt with problems trying
> to display CJK and other international scripts, in which the advice
> was given to look at the Hello file. As a person who has been
> working with international scripts and utf-8 for a number years, I
> know firsthand the ability to be able to read this file doesn't
> usually mean much.

If HELLO displays correctly, it means that Emacs has all it need in
order to display characters, and the problem lies in the
encoding/decoding process. If we recoded HELLO into UTF-8, then if
people were having problems displaying utf-8 encoded text, looking at
HELLO would just not work. At least now, it is a way to quickly
narrow down the problem.

> People who recommend checking this file are usually people who don't
> use double-byte East Asian languages.

No, they are people that know how Emacs works, and are trying to help
by narrowing down the problem.