Re: Chinese characters support

From: Robin Hu
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:02:29 +0800

    Lee> Many people using the CJK parts of Emacs only work with the
    Lee> national encodings (Big5, GB, JIS, KSC, etc.)  and in those
    Lee> cases, they Emacs works excellently.

    I think you are over-simpilify this problem. ;-( Most CJK characters
    are not encoded in either Big5 or GB or JIS or KSC, that's why the
    GB coding standard change from gb2312 to gbk then to gb18030. AFAIK,
    most chinese characters also cannot be coded within mule, and exists
    unicode support does not solve this problem.

    Of course, emacs is enough for most people in most time, but I am
    really hesitated to tell my friend once and once again "Sorry, but
    your name (羽中) is not supported by my emacs."

--
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.