Re: Why does texinfo-make-menu append trailing whitespace?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why does texinfo-make-menu append trailing whitespace?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 05:30:38 +0300

> From: Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:56:54 +0000
>
> I'm updating a file.texi using Texinfo-mode.  When I do C-c C-u <ret> to
> update a menu, the resulting menu has trailing spaces after each item.
> There wasn't any such trailing spaces beforehand.

Define ``beforehand''.  Are you saying that a previous version of
Emacs (which one?) didn't insert those spaces?

> I don't like this.  Is it a bug, or is there some reason for this
> trailing space?

It's a kind of a feature: Emacs assumes that you will wish to add
some text to each menu item, and inserts those spaces to align the
beginning of that text.

You can use delete-trailing-whitespace to remove easily it if you
don't want it.