Re: Understanding Emacs and Tabs

From: Eric Pement
Subject: Re: Understanding Emacs and Tabs
Date: 16 May 2003 13:06:04 -0700

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message
news:<848yteq43p.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> pemente@northpark.edu (Eric Pement) writes:
>
> > Hi! I've just posted a web page entitled "Understanding GNU Emacs
> > and Tabs", which I hope to be of help to other users
[ ... ]

> I wish it explained better about syntax-driven indentation.  The key
> issue, I think, is that syntax-driven indentation can usually be
> configured to the user's liking.  And once that has happened, it is a
> useful time-saver.

   That's something that I need to learn more about, but I haven't
got enough experience to understand it well enough to explain it
to others. My main experience is with web programming languages
(HTML, XML, Perl, PHP, JavaScript, etc.).

> Another detail that might be useful is the variable
> c-tab-always-indent.

   I will try to work it in there, but my thought was that perhaps
this variable is used only for C programming? I use Emacs more
frequently for HTML, outline-mode, plain text, so I assumed that
maybe c-tab-always-indent was not used that often. My more frequent
frustrations happen when I'm editing my .emacs file (Lisp-mode) and
the TAB key doesn't seem to work like I expect. So I've developed a
habit of just using the spacebar to do all my indentation.

   Thanks, Kai, for the great help you have been to so many others!

--
Eric Pement