Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3 wants "libXaw3d.so.5"; got Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz; NOW WHAT?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:32:08 +0000 (UTC)

In article <5lbrxynm17.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu>,
Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:
>>> Where did the "libXaw3d.so.5" come from you think ?
>
>> I downloaded it -- having gotten the error message saying
>> it was missing, I went to google and searched for it,
>> found it, and downloaded it.  That's where it came from.
>
>You misunderstood.  My question was `where does the string "libXaw3d.so.5"
>come from', given the fact that Emacs does not have the ".5" part anywhere
>in its code.
>
>> And, here's a search through all the file-names
>> that existed a few days ago (before that download)
>> on my computer and all its disks:
>[...]
>> /opt/sfw/lib/libXaw3d.so.5
>
>Is gnu.emacs.help really the best way to do a `grep' ?
>

>        Stefan

Not quite sure whether that's a serious question or a
troll's bait.

If serious, then (re)read my partof the thread.

If not, it reminds me of a forced-attendance
college-vistor's talk (back in early 60's)
about worldwide fallout from nuclear tests,
and how it was in all the food we ate.
Some student raised his hand and asked, "Why do
you scientists keep adding all this strontium-90
to our milk".

D.