Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: Bijan Soleymani
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:53:59 -0400

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> I'm having difficulties getting emacs 21.3 to compile,
> load, etc -- and am getting complaints about a missing
> lib:
>
>       ../lisp/textmodes/text-mode.elc         ../lisp/vc-hooks.elc
> ../lisp/ediff-hook.elc  ../lisp/widget.elc      ../lisp/window.elc
> ../lisp/version.el
> LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch -l loadup dump
> ld.so.1: ./temacs: fatal: libXaw3d.so.5: open failed: No such file or
> directory
> Killed
> make[1]: *** [emacs] Error 137
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/big5/david3/from_netcom-dir2/sources-stuff/emacs-21.3/src'
> make: *** [src] Error 2
> 358.0  sys= 18.0  96%  || mem=0  in=0
> 137 ==/david3/from_netcom-dir2/sources-stuff/emacs-21.3==>
>

> (Note: Im trying to communicate with ONLY those people
> who've put emacs-21.3 up on Solris!

I've gotten version 21.2, 21.3 and CVS of emacs to compile on
solaris/slowlaris.

Looks like you've got problems with libXaw3d.

You should look for xaw3d in /etc/PROBLEMS. Here is what I found:

"
* On systems with shared libraries you might encounter run-time errors
from the dynamic linker telling you that it is unable to find some
shared libraries, for instance those for Xaw3d or image support.
These errors mean Emacs has been linked with a library whose shared
library is not in the default search path of the dynamic linker.

Similar problems could prevent Emacs from building, since the build
process invokes Emacs several times.

On many systems, it is possible to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your
environment to specify additional directories where shared libraries
can be found.

Other systems allow to set LD_RUN_PATH in a similar way, but before
Emacs is linked.  With LD_RUN_PATH set, the linker will include a
specified run-time search path in the executable.
"

Hope that helps,
Bijan