Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20

From: kgold
Subject: Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
Date: 20 May 2003 21:18:11 GMT

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@fuckmicrosoft.com> writes:
> * Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > For starters:
> > (tool-bar-mode -1)  ; see Tool bar support in etc/NEWS
>
> As far as I have been told this is the worst possibility of the two ways
> how to disable the tool bar because first it is going to be enabled just
> in order to be disabled right after. I use this option because it
> disables the tool bar just from the beginning when Emacs is going to
> start (at least this was suggested when I asked the same question some
> time ago):
>
> ,----[ ~/.Xresources ]
> | ! Disabling the Emacs tool bar
> | Emacs.toolBar: 0
> `----

Using X resources only works if you are running under X.  Using .emacs
is generally a better solution if the .emacs is being used for Windows
as well.

If you are concerned with startup performance, you might look at
gnuserv.  Many of us keep emacs running for months at a time.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646