Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: Dave Uhring
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:55:09 -0500

On Wed, 21 May 2003 08:50:21 +0000, David Combs wrote:

>       libXaw3d.so.5 =>         (file not found)

> Why does mine want the 3d thing, and yours doesn't?

Probably because I enabled motif instead of Xaw3d when I ran the configure
script.  Do you really want the Athena widget set?  Is that library
actuallly on your system?  Where?  If it's in /opt/sfw/lib then your
environment should contain

[duhring]$ echo $LDFLAGS
-L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib -L/opt/sfw/lib -R/opt/sfw/lib

before running the configure script.

> Also, you did that echo of the two LD_..._PATHs, and
> showed nothing for what typed out.

A blank line appeared because I do not have either of those values set in
my environment.  I do not require them for any of the software which I
have built on this machine.  Neither are they required for the OS software
supplied by Sun; they built those binaries with the correct LDFLAGS in the
compiler user's environment.

> Here's what I get:
>

> 84 ==/dkcjunk==> echo $LD_RUN_PATH
> LD_RUN_PATH: Undefined variable
> 85 ==/dkcjunk==> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH: Undefined variable
> 86 ==/dkcjunk==>
>
> A prior answer said to define the first one as
> /usr/openwin/lib.
>
> Is that your opinion too?

http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html

No, my opinion is that neither of those values should be set.  They are
unnecessary and evil.  Set LDFLAGS in your environment correctly -before-
running any GNU configure script.

You probably should also set CC and CFLAGS:

[duhring]$ echo $CC
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
[duhring]$ echo $CFLAGS
-O2 -pipe -mcpu=ultrasparc

> And what about the RUN path -- set it to what?

""

> PS: your opinion on those configure-args suggested in that
> same post?  Any changes, or use as-is.

This is what I used:

[emacs-21.3]$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --with-x-toolkit=motif \
--with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x