multi-line comments in c-mode

From: Tony Tung
Subject: multi-line comments in c-mode
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:23:49 +0000 (UTC)

Background info: GNU Emacs 21.3.1; c-mode with auto-fill-mode.
c-block-comment-prefix is set to "* "

If I have a comment that looks like this:

   /* lot's of text here and so forth blah blah blah ...

When I reach the fill column, I get:

   /* lot's of text here and so forth blah blah blah ...
    * blah blah blah ...

This is expected.  Since this is the first time the comment block is
broken, Emacs doesn't know how to prefix and automagically puts the "* "
in front.  All is good.  I continue typing and I get:

   /* lot's of text here and so forth blah blah blah ...
    * blah blah blah ...
   blah blah blah blah

Wow, not good!  How come it didn't understand the prefix from the previous
two lines?  The odd thing is that if the comment starts in column 1, it
works as expected, like this:

/* lot's of text here and so forth blah blah blah ...
 * blah blah blah ...
 * blah blah blah blah

Any ideas?

Thanks,