Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: Dave Uhring
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 05:41:13 -0500

On Fri, 23 May 2003 05:28:17 +0000, David Combs wrote:

> In article <pan.2003.05.22.15.45.10.303311@yahoo.com>,
> Dave Uhring <daveuhring@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, 22 May 2003 15:06:10 +0000,
>>bbense+gnu.emacs.help.comp.unix.solaris.May.22.0 wrote:
>

>>> _ AFAIK, autoconf doesn't know how to set these things. You
>>>   either have to write your own hacks to configure.in or use the
>>>   generic libtool solution. Libtool was written to solve exactly
>>>   this problem.
>>
>>/tmp/emacs-21.3/src/Makefile generated with $LDFLAGS=""
>>
>>LDFLAGS= -L/usr/openwin/lib
>>X11_LDFLAGS = -L/usr/openwin/lib
>>LIBX= $(LIBXMENU) $(X11_LDFLAGS) $(LIBXT) -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lXpm
>>-lX11

As I pointed out in the next few lines this is completely in error.

> Since I uses csh, I made a  file env.source:
>
> setenv LDFLAGS '-L/usr/openwin/lib'
> setenv X11_LDFLAGS  '-L/usr/openwin/lib'
> setenv LIBX '$(LIBXMENU) $(X11_LDFLAGS) $(LIBXT) -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm
> -lXpm -lX11'
>
> , and then said "source env.source", and then "env", and got:
>
> LDFLAGS=-L/usr/openwin/lib
> X11_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/openwin/lib
> LIBX=$(LIBXMENU) $(X11_LDFLAGS) $(LIBXT) -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lXpm
> -lX11
> 110 ==/david3/from_netcom-dir2/sources-stuff/emacs-21.3==>
>
> as the final three lines.
>
> Look ok to you?

No.  You set up your env.source incorrectly.  I keep telling you that
LDFLAGS must contain -L and -R entries for each library directory and you
did not even bother with -R/usr/openwin/lib in your env.source file.

>>Note that the -R/usr/openwin/lib linking argument does not exist.  Neither
>>does -L/usr/sfw/lib and hence /usr/ccs/bin/ld is NOT going to find
>>libtiff.so, libjpeg.so or libpng.so, let alone provide the required
>>run-time link paths.
>>
>>Now export LDFLAGS properly and run configure again.
>
> I think (maybe wrongly, for sure!) that csh has no export cmd,
> nor(?) needs one?

Right, but you need to use setenv, which is the csh equivalent to
ksh,bash,zsh export.

> Oh, better do a "make clean", I suppose, first.

Just remove config.cache and config.status if you have a clean source
tree.

> Note that my libx is a lot shorter than yours; I guess I'll ltry
> making it this way first, then worry later about those other
> things.

That is because libtiff, libjpeg, etc were not found.

It will not build correctly.