Re: Make CVS default revision controller

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Make CVS default revision controller
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:48:53 +0200

Hi Marcu,

marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:

> But I think I/we have lost sight of the original problem now.

Right.

> But in another non CVS dir I got asked if I wanted to create an RCS
> dir. Personally, (already!) from what I have seen of RCS I prefer
> CVS, mainly for the PCL-emacs interface.

To clarify: CVS doesn't work on isolated individual files.  CVS
handles projects == modules == directories.  As has been mentioned,
RCS handles individual files, and so Emacs suggests that.  I don't
think that Emacs currently provides a shortcut to create a new module
in CVS at all.

What would be my plan, if I wanted to do this?  It's easy enough to do
"cvs import" from a command line, so I first would write a small
wrapper to do that, starting from a directory.  When I have that, it
may than be time to think about extending that so, that when I call it
on a file, I get a suggestion to put the whole directory in CVS.  And
lastly I could work on connecting all this with the regular Emacs VC
module.

Just my 2 cents, benny