Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?

From: Dave Uhring
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:44:06 -0500

On Mon, 26 May 2003 22:49:58 +0000, David Combs wrote:

> The "and I no longer have /opt/sfw." -- how did that dissappear?
> Presumably not via "and all it's dependencies", but by
> deliberate pkgrm of everything there, and then rm -r of /opt/sfw.

pkgrm; rm -r

> But why?  There's a HUGE amount of software in /opt/sfw?

Only if you put it there.  I did not.  I installed SFWgcc in order to be
able to build gcc-3.2.2.  Once I had gcc-3.2.2 installed I had no more use
for /opt/sfw.

Libraries compiled with gcc-2.95.3 are incompatible with binaries built
with gcc-3.2.2, and I cannot afford the license for Sun's compilers.

> What sfw-stuff would you then have on your PATH and LDFLAGS?
> Both of them -- every /usr/sfw/... would perhaps be paired with
> a /opt/sfw/...?

/opt/sfw does not exist.  You have my PATH in the .bashrc file which I
sent you.  For others it is:

[duhring]$ echo $PATH
/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:
/usr/sfw/sbin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:
/usr/sfw/share/texmf/bin:/usr/sfw/netpbm/bin:/usr/ucb

[duhring]$ ls /opt
Acrobat5  OpenOffice  RealPlayer8  SUNWits  SUNWmlib  SUNWrtvc  build
kde  lost+found  mozilla  qt3  source  temp  tmp

>>I built emacs-21.3 again and saved all of the output of the configure
>>script and make and will send it to you via email.  Perhaps you can see
>>from that where your problems lie.

You will see from the 3 files which I sent you that emacs can indeed be
built on Solaris 9 SPARC.  No way in hell I could be bothered to fake all
that ;-)