Re: mode-line in emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: mode-line in emacs
Date: 27 May 2003 18:24:12 +0100

  James> Can someone explain what those end-of-line (dos, unix, mac,
  James> undecided) annotations in emacs mode-line mean? Let me put it
  James> more clearly: I know LF is the separation of lines convention
  James> for unix, CR for mac and CRLF for dos (CR=carriage return,
  James> LF=line feed) but still it is not obvious to me what exactly
  James> they mean and how they affect my files. I am writing a little
  James> book using LaTeX and some of my files are marked dos, others
  James> unix. Is the final output influenced by these options? Are
  James> they really options? How can I change them? Please educate
  James> me.  Thanks James D

They reflect the current status of the file. They are not shown in the
line endings are the default for the system (so unix does not show on
a emacs running under unix, dos does not show on windows).

So if some of your files show "unix" and some show "dos" you are
presumably using a mac?

You probably want to find out why this is happening. Emacs will
generally cope, but having inconsistent file endings can cause havoc
with some applications.

Phil