Emacs for sites with different operating systems and CVS.

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Emacs for sites with different operating systems and CVS.
Date: 27 May 2003 23:05:18 -0500

When maintaining Emacs for a site where users are on different
platforms, should you

  Check in compiled code for each platform?
  Check in source and give them the scripts to build for each platform?
  Check in the tar file and let them untar to their directories while
  just maintaining external packages?

I think the second option, but then why is there, seemingly, a specific
source tree for the windows Emacs?  Are there different steps because
there are special files and such which therefore make it difficult to
build windows from the same source as Linux as ...

Is there anyplace I can go to know what I should do to build Emacs from
one source for multiple platforms, or do I dig through all of the notes
and such in the etc directory.

Are there any manuals and howtos as well as FAQs for site-admins?

--
Galen deForest Boyer