Re: Emacs for sites with different operating systems and CVS.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs for sites with different operating systems and CVS.
Date: 28 May 2003 08:03:56 +0100

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> I think the second option, but then why is there, seemingly, a specific
> source tree for the windows Emacs?

It is only seemingly. The source is the same. A copy of the source is
kept in ftp.gnu.org:/gnu/windows/emacs so that people downloading the
Windows binary can find it easily.

> Are there different steps because there are special files and such
> which therefore make it difficult to build windows from the same
> source as Linux as ...

Windows has a different default shell, and different tools than the
typical Unix system. But with Cygwin, it is possible to build Emacs
using the standard configure and make steps.