Re: global-set-key [? \ M-ö]

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: global-set-key [? \ M-ö]
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:13:13 +0200

Martin aus Chemnitz <MartinAusChemnitz@gmx.net> writes:

>> I created a file foo.el that looks like this (two lines):
> :
>> I then started Emacs as follows:
> :
>> In the *scratch* buffer, I moved to the beginning of the buffer and
>
> My *scratch* buffer is empty if I start with "-l foo.el", but I type
> in some word and do the same.

Ah, good.

>> then I typed ESC <compose> " o.  (I don't have a German keyboard, so
>> <compose> " o is my way of typing the ö character in X11.  You would
>> hit your ö key directly.)  The cursor moved forward a word.
>
> Do you mean M-ö? When I type M-ö nothing happens.

What happens with ESC ö?

> C-h k M-ö produces `M-ö is undefined'.

Hm.

> If I type in ö and C-u C-x C-= over it I get a similar result as you:
> `latin-iso8859-1'.
> ,----
> |  character: ö (04366, 2294, 0x8f6)
> |    charset: latin-iso8859-1
> | (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1): ISO-IR-100)
> | code point: 118
> |     syntax: word
> |   category: l:Latin
> |buffer code: 0x81 0xF6
> |  file code: F6 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
> :
> `----
>
> If I open foo.el and do the same I get latin-1 as well.
>
> ,----
> |  character: ö (04366, 2294, 0x8f6)
> |    charset: latin-iso8859-1
> | (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1): ISO-IR-100)
> | code point: 118
> |     syntax: word
> |   category: l:Latin
> |buffer code: 0x81 0xF6
> |  file code: F6 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
> :
> `----

Okay, so I guess that ESC ö would work.  Hm.  I haven't tried M-ö
because I don't know how to type that on my US keyboard.

> M-x local-set-key M-ö forward-word
> works well and assigns the key. The file foo.el does not.
>
> But if my foo.el looks like this
> ,----
> | ;-*- unibyte:t -*-
> | (global-set-key (kbd "M-ö") 'forward-word)
> `----
> and I start Emacs like above, the key is assigned.

Fascinating.

> I'll get the same behaviour as you for latin-9, but latin-1 file does
> not work.

So latin-9 doesn't work, either, right?  You get a beep and C-h k
tells you the key is undefined?

Anyhow, thanks for all the testing.  I wonder what can be done at
this point, and how come that your keys are different.

What's keyboard-coding-system, btw?  M-x describe-coding-system RET
RET should tell you.
--
This line is not blank.