Re: disallow font-lock-mode for a given buffer

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: disallow font-lock-mode for a given buffer
Date: 31 May 2003 19:23:15 +1000

>>>>> "James" == James H Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

 James> When I edit an article in gnus, font-lock-mode gets turned on
 James> in the *Article* buffer.  I suspect this is due to having
 James> (global-font-lock- mode t) in ~/.emacs.  This overrides
 James> gnus’ faces.  And doesn’t look very good
 James> doing so….

 James> I tried the probably naïve:

 James>    (add-hook 'gnus-article-mode-hook '(font-lock-mode -1))
 James> (add-hook 'gnus-article-edit-mode-hook '(font-lock-mode -1))

 James> but that gave an error.

 James> Do I have to put it in a defun to work in a hook?

 James> Or is '() just the wrong syntax?

 James> It’s been too long since I’ve spent any
 James> time hacking elisp; I seem to have forgotton most of the
 James> details…. ☹

GNUS has customize options for setting the amount of font locking. You
can use these configuration options to turn font locking off/on for
different parts of the gnus display (e.g. summary, article buffers or
parts of the display such as headers, quoted text, signatures
etc). maybe this will give you what you want. Try

M-x customize-group <ret> gnus <ret>

Tim

--
Tim Cross