Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Date: 31 May 2003 19:28:20 +1000

 lawrence> Irving Kimura wrote:
 >> I find it infuriating that M-x shell does not give me a fully
 >> functional bash (or rather, a fully functional terminal).  For
 >> instance, I can't pipe things through less ("WARNING: terminal is
 >> not fully functional").  And /bin/ls --color results in
 >> gobbledygook.  Etc.

 >> Of course, my main reason for using M-x shell is to be able to
 >> treat stdout as any other Emacs buffer.  (In particular, I find it
 >> very useful to be able to easily copy selected chunks of stdout to
 >> another Emacs buffer.)  Is this capability fundamentally
 >> antithetical to a "fully functional terminal"

 lawrence> No, but the way Emacs interacts with the external shell,
 lawrence> claiming to be a dumb terminal, is.  I think.

 >> that would allow me to pipe outputs through less, run /bin/ls
 >> --color, run man, run top, etc?  If not, is there any way to
 >> configure Emacs so that M-x shell operates under a "fully
 >> functional terminal"?

 lawrence> For the ls --color, you need to do M-x
 lawrence> ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on RET, or add it to some hook.
 lawrence> This will then correctly parse the colour escapes.

 lawrence> Regarding the others, there would seem to be no need to
 lawrence> pipe things through less when running a shell inside Emacs.
 lawrence> After all, the Emacs buffer has scrollback anyway.  I can
 lawrence> still use less within an Emacs shell buffer, it just
 lawrence> doesn't work that well.  For man pages, you could try M-x
 lawrence> man RET, which reformats man pages for viewing within
 lawrence> Emacs.

 lawrence> I'm not sure what to do for top, I think there's an
 lawrence> interface to it somewhere, but I can't remember anything
 lawrence> less vague than that.
 >> Thanks!!!

The view-process mode for emacs provides a 'top' equivalent. Not sure
where to find it though. Maybe do a google.

Tim

--
Tim Cross