How to change parameters for window colors?

From: Jimmerr
Subject: How to change parameters for window colors?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:24:39 -0400

Hi, I was unable to find any understandable explanation of how to do
this. I did find mention (I think in the int file docs) of using an
alist  for features in your .emacs file, such as (feature . value).
But I could find no explanation at all on what the this means, how to do
it, how to use it, an example of the syntax, etc etc etc.  Although I
searched the docs for hours. Do I sound frustrated?

How do set preferences in emacs so windows open with the colors I want?
I don't want to have to M-x set-foreground-color and M-x
set-background-color every time I open a window, I'm sure there has to
be a way to set defaults like this.

If you know how to do it, can you please provide an example.

Thanks
Jim