Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?

From: Ole Laursen
Subject: Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?
Date: 01 Jun 2003 20:29:17 +0200

Jimmerr <jimkkREMOVEME@umich.edu> writes:

> Thanks.  I was referring to things such as being able to debug and
> compile from within emacs. Is this important?  Do people who write c or
> c++ programs (especially for palm pilot with PRC tools) use or depend on
> emacs, and why?

"Why" is of course because Emacs is the best editor ever. Especially
for C and C++.

I can recommend the following lines for your .emacs:

  (global-set-key [f5] 'compile)
  (global-set-key [f6] 'first-error)
  (global-set-key [f7] 'previous-error)
  (global-set-key [f8] 'next-error)

Then press F5 to compile something and then press F6 to get to the
first compile error and F7/F8 to navigate between the following ones.
Very convenient. For debugging, there is 'M-x gdb' which is a little
bit weird to use, though.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/