Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Is emacs helpful or necessary to gcc programming?
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:03:50 -0400

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:

> Jimmerr <jimkkREMOVEME@umich.edu> writes:
>
>> Thanks.  I was referring to things such as being able to debug and
>> compile from within emacs. Is this important?  Do people who write c or
>> c++ programs (especially for palm pilot with PRC tools) use or depend on
>> emacs, and why?
>
> "Why" is of course because Emacs is the best editor ever. Especially
> for C and C++.
>
> I can recommend the following lines for your .emacs:
>
>   (global-set-key [f5] 'compile)
>   (global-set-key [f6] 'first-error)
>   (global-set-key [f7] 'previous-error)
>   (global-set-key [f8] 'next-error)

I fully agree with the concept, but IMHO F6 is wasted,
F8 will accomplish the same function.

If you really need to go back to the first error,
you can just click on the first error.

Here are mine using only 2 keys:

(define-key global-map [(f1)] 'compile)
(define-key global-map [(f2)] 'next-error)
(define-key global-map [(shift f2)] 'previous-error)

Well, actually, here are a few more, but I don't use
them very often:

(define-key global-map [(control f1)] 'kill-compilation)
(define-key global-map [(alt f1)] 'remote-compile)