Re: [newbie] emacs flyspell not understands well accented chars

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [newbie] emacs flyspell not understands well accented chars
Date: 01 Jun 2003 15:08:41 -0400

>> Now with ispell/aspell/flyspell and several debian versions of emacs21 it
>> says that: PERCH is unrecognized word and suggests perche' as correction.

> I suspect this is because your locale sets Emacs up to use Latin-9
> encoding, while Ispell's dictionary is encoded in Latin-1.  Current
> released versions of Emacs see Latin-1 and Latin-9 as different
> characters, sigh...

Probably indeed.

> The solution is to find and install an Italian dictionary that is
> encoded in Latin-9.  Alas, I don't know if and where such a beast
> exists.

That wouldn't help, since at the level of ispell, latin-1 and latin-9
are pretty much indistinguishable: unless some word uses one of the few
chars that are different, a latin-1 dict *is* a latin-9 dict as well.

The problem might rather be that Emacs thinks that latin-9 letters are not
part of ispell-words so it cuts the words wrong.  I don't really know enough
about ispell-dictionary-alist (it seems to use "unibyte" chars) and/or
flyspell to know what to do, tho.

Mario, what is your locale and have do you see the problem only with
flyspell ?  What about M-x ispell-region and M-x ispell-word ?

        Stefan