Re: How to change parameters for window colors?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: How to change parameters for window colors?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:34:32 -0600

Jimmerr wrote:

Hi, I was unable to find any understandable explanation of how to do this. I did find mention (I think in the int file docs) of using an alist for features in your .emacs file, such as (feature . value). But I could find no explanation at all on what the this means, how to do it, how to use it, an example of the syntax, etc etc etc. Although I searched the docs for hours. Do I sound frustrated?

How do set preferences in emacs so windows open with the colors I want? I don't want to have to M-x set-foreground-color and M-x set-background-color every time I open a window, I'm sure there has to be a way to set defaults like this.

If you know how to do it, can you please provide an example.

File: emacs, Node: Creating Frames, Next: Frame Commands, Prev: Mode Line Mouse, Up: Frames

Creating Frames
===============
   You can control the appearance of new frames you create by setting
the frame parameters in `default-frame-alist'.  You can use the
variable `initial-frame-alist' to specify parameters that affect only
the initial frame.  *Note Initial Parameters: (elisp)Initial
Parameters, for more information.

   The easiest way to specify the principal font for all your Emacs
frames is with an X resource (*note Font X::), but you can also do it by
modifying `default-frame-alist' to specify the `font' parameter, as
shown here:

     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "10x20"))

Here's a similar example for specifying a foreground color:

     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "blue"))