Re: Very slow startup with UTF-8 locale

From: Bjoern
Subject: Re: Very slow startup with UTF-8 locale
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:16:48 +0200

Hello,

I am just looking for a way to make emacs use utf-8 as the default encoding, and found your post. I'm curious about this fr_FR.UTF-8 sentence, what is it and how is it being used? Might there be a similiar thing for german or english language, that would set the default-encoding to utf-8?

I couldn't find it in the manual :-(

Many thanks for any help!

Bjoern

Jérôme Marant wrote:

Hi,

  I'm experiencing a very weird problem.

  When LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, it take one minute before Emacs (I tried 21.3
  and CVS HEAD) displays its main window. In the meantime, quite
  no CPU is used. Locales are properly configured and generated.
  It starts immediately when LANG=fr_FR.

  Did anyone experience such a problem?

  Thanks in advance.

PS: please followup properly. Thx.