Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:51:57 GMT

"Kevin Dziulko" <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.7200.1054643007.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> You can do something like:
>
> (global-set-key "\e[4~" 'delete-char)
>
> to get the delete key to work as you'd like. (\e[4~ would need to be
> subsituted by the escape sequence of your delete key).  To find your
> delete keys escape sequence, go into the *scratch* buffer, hit C-q, then
> press your delete key.

Thanks.  I'll give that a go.

> use something like:
> (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.c$" . text-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>
> so that visiting *.c files will land you in text-mode.

Ok, I'll try that.  Can you tell me why these...

> > (setq inhibit-default-init 't)
> > (setq-default default-major-mode 'text-mode)

... didn't stop this auto-file-association from happening?  I basically
don't want emacs to do any junk like that, I'm not interested in its
assumptions, I'm after basic editting functions, rather than by
default being launched into its weird ideas of what C code should
look like (which is probably a style used by less than 10% of
C programmers).

BFN.  Paul.