Re: Coding Convections - Enabling a feature by loading a file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Coding Convections - Enabling a feature by loading a file
Date: 04 Jun 2003 21:02:49 -0400

> But this is only true if autoloads are generated.  Is it standard
> practice to do that for files added to someones site directory or for a
> user under $HOME?  I know I've never done that (I might start now that I
> think of it).

It's true that it's rarely done, but I think it should be fixed.
My install.el package embryo tries to do that by providing a standard way
for people to install a "package" and that procedure adds the
necessary autoloads.

> I'm not talking about a file are is part of Emacs, but one distributed
> separately.  How strongly should we adhere to that coding convention?

Why should there be a difference ?  After all, any unbundled package is
just a potential bundled package.

        Stefan

PS: Another circumstance where a package might get loaded implicitly
    is during byte-compilation.  There's probably others.