Re: Why have "shell" when there's "term"

From: Hallvard B Furuseth
Subject: Re: Why have "shell" when there's "term"
Date: 06 Jun 2003 16:32:02 +0200

J Krugman wrote:

> It seems to me that "M-x term" is in every way superior to "M-x
> shell".  What's the point of the latter?

I just tried M-x term and didn't like it.  Normal Emacs keystrokes were
no longer available, so I couldn't e.g. copy text and yank it elsewhere
the same way as before.  The Info mode says C-c C-k turns on line mode
which makes it more like M-x shell, but that seems to have been
overstating the case.

I'll stay with M-x shell.  That's still basically Emacs, unlike M-x term
which tries not to be.

--
Hallvard