emacs for rapid prototyping of oracle sql scripts

From: Bhagat, Nirav
Subject: emacs for rapid prototyping of oracle sql scripts
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:47:47 -0400

Hi,

I believe emacs might be a good editor to use to rapidly prototype Oracle
PL/SQL scripts. My question is if anyone has been in a similar situation as
the one I will describe below, and if emacs was a viable solution. I would
appreciate any responses be directed to myself, but I promise that I will
summarize my learnings to y'all in a later e-mail.

* we keep/run our scripts on our unix servers
* we usually edit scripts on our windows desktops, ftp them over, then run
them for good on the unix box (obviously)
* we usually test out snippets on a flunky windows-based oracle client
(TOAD)..
* will have to jump through hoops to get emacs installed on unix, so will
have to install on windows.
* want a flexible text editor (emacs obviously fits the bill), that can run
snippets of my pl/sql code one at a time..

The grand (well, not really grand, but acceptable) vision would be, emacs
for windows xp, with the capability to run snippets using the oracle engine
that's built in, then ftping them over to the unix box and (maybe) kicking
them off from within emacs.

I know that, if we were in a perfect world, I'd be doing everything from my
unix box, but for championing emacs, I can't install it on my unix account,
since I can only install stuff on my own windows account.

Any help/thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Nirav
nirav@alumni.rice.edu