Re: simple editor required

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 13:49:47 +0300

> From: "Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:19:34 GMT
>
> Well the first problem is that only one of the emacses responded
> to my .emacs requesting the default mode to be text mode.  The
> other remained as fundamental.

Please show the fragment of your .emacs that didn't work in one of
these versions.  Also, please tell what Emacs versions are you using.

> At the moment I have to conclude that fundamental behaviour is being
> changed *by default* between versions.

Some defaults indeed change whenever the maintainers find the old
defaults to be contrary to expectations of many users.  However, these
changes are rare; most defaults stay put for many releases.

> The second problem I encountered was that in the version where
> text mode actually took effect, was that it inserted spaces instead
> of leaving the line empty, when I inserted a blank line.

How did you insert a blank line?  What command did you use?

> The third problem I encountered was when trying to manually
> clean up the blanks, ctrl-k would not simply delete the blanks on
> the line, it would delete the entire line.

This is a feature: Emacs removes an empty line together with its
newline terminator.  Use M-\ to remove the blanks alone.